Tuesday, January 20, 2015

OH MY...

I am sure you have heard about all the hype over the new book "The Girl on a Train." I did and thought I would pick it up at Barnes and Noble on Tuesday when it was released. Couldn't find it! Went to the customer service counter and asked about it...SOLD OUT! It was 1:00 in the afternoon!! Luckily, another B and N had it and held one for me. Anyway, started reading Wednesday and finished it Saturday. I could have finished it earlier but I wanted to enjoy the build up and the ending.

http://penguinrandomhouse.ca/sites/default/files/book_new/field_coverimageuri/9780385682312.jpg 
 
From Amazon:
The “girl on the train” is Rachel, who commutes into London and back each day, rolling past the backyard of a happy-looking couple she names Jess and Jason. Then one day Rachel sees “Jess” kissing another man. The day after that, Jess goes missing. The story is told from three character’s not-to-be-trusted perspectives: Rachel, who mourns the loss of her former life with the help of canned gin and tonics; Megan (aka Jess); and Anna, Rachel’s ex-husband’s wife, who happens to be Jess/Megan’s neighbor. Rachel’s voyeuristic yearning for the seemingly idyllic life of Jess and Jason lures her closer and closer to the investigation into Jess/Megan’s disappearance.

Many are comparing this story to Gone Girl. I would say yea, but this one is a sloooow build, just like an Alfred Hitchcock movie. You know how Hitchcok takes a loooong time building the story and slowly  gets to the climax of the movie and then you just LOVE it!  I found this book to do the same thing! Sloooow build up and then WOW!!  I loved Gone Girl, but that ending...UGH and double UGH!! This book will not make you want to throw it out a 10 story building (or burn it in you fire pit) such as Gone Girl did for me.  I wold definitely recommend this book, but do not get frustrated with the build up...it is well worth the wait!!


 

No comments: