Thursday, April 14, 2016

I am an Introvert...

Something that I have discovered about myself is that I am an introvert. "WHAT?!?!  No way!! You are SOOOO out going and bubbly and talkative!"

Yup, I'm an introvert.

Let me explain: I am an introvert that has learned to live in an extrovert world. 

If you look up the definition of an introvert it means shy. And yes, I am shy. In my younger years I was extremely shy. So shy, that many peers referred and called me a bitch, aloof, arrogant and stuck up. I overheard one group of high school peers say, "Katie is so cute, too bad she is such a bitch!" Hearing that, I wanted to go back further in my shell, but realized that it was time to become "un-shy."  

I am still shy and struggle with my shyness as an adult, especially in new situations. Unfortunately,  I am still referred to by the names above at times.  So I have decided to try to explain what it is like being an introvert living and surviving in an extrovert world!

This cartoon hits the nail on the head when it comes to ME!


http://i.imgur.com/mPIt64k.jpg 
I find that many people often misunderstand the true definition of an introvert vs. an extrovert….they assume that introverts are not very social and extroverts are the life of the party. This isn't always necessarily true, which honestly surprised me!  So, I hope that I can shine a little light on the life of an introvert from my perspective!

No comments: