Wednesday, February 3, 2016

A Man Called Ove

Just finished the book A Man Called Ove by Fredrick Backman.

http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1405259930l/18774964.jpg 
I picked up this book due to the great reviews I had read about it. When I first started, I did not like this man, Ove. He is grumpy, set in his ways and over all a real curmudgeon and nasty old man. I really did not like him. I would stop reading this book for about a week and then go back to it, because it HAD to be good, right? I had to force myslef to read it, because I soooo did not like how Ove treated people! Then, the more I read, the more I could not put the book down! As the story developed, I fell in love with Ove, his story of his beloved wife and by the end of the book I was in tears. I highly recommend this book and would give it 4-5 stars.  I love Ove and I know you will too.

From Barnes and Nobel:
Meet Ove. He’s a curmudgeon—the kind of man who points at people he dislikes as if they were burglars caught outside his bedroom window. He has staunch principles, strict routines, and a short fuse. People call him “the bitter neighbor from hell.” 

Behind the cranky exterior there is a story and a sadness. So when one November morning a chatty young couple with two chatty young daughters move in next door and accidentally flatten Ove’s mailbox, it is the lead-in to a comical and heartwarming tale of unkempt cats, unexpected friendships, and the ancient art of backing up a U-Haul. All of which will change one cranky old man and a local residents’ association to their very foundations.

Fredrik Backman’s novel about the angry old man next door is a thoughtful exploration of the profound impact one life has on countless others. “If there was an award for ‘Most Charming Book of the Year,’ this first novel by a Swedish blogger-turned-overnight-sensation would win hands down” (Booklist, starred review).
 

No comments: