Friday, May 31, 2013

The Difference...

Sometimes I ask myself, how are Sam and Jack SO different, yet they were produced by the same parents and basically raised the same.

Case in point:

Sam gets a splinter:
Sam: MOM!! I HAVE A SPLINTER!!
Me: Let me look at it.
Sam: NOOOO!! DON'T TOUCH IT. OK. YOU CAN LOOK AT IT, JUST DON'T TOUCH IT! PROMISE NOT TO TOUCH IT!!!
Me: Sam. I won't touch it. I may have to hold your toe at an angle so I can see the splinter, but I won't touch the splinter.
Sam: OK YOU PROMISE NOT TO TOUCH IT.
Me: I won't touch the splinter, Sam. But I am going to touch your toe.
I reach for his toe.
He pulls it away.
Sam: "OH NO!! DON'T TOUCH IT!! WILL IT HURT?"
Me: Sam. I didn't' even touch anything. I need to look at it so we know what to do.
Sam: DON'T GET THE TWEEZERS! DON'T GET THE TWEEZERS. IT WILL BE FINE. IT WILL BE FINE.

You get the idea...and the splinter never gets removed.

Jack was sitting on the floor the other night.
Me: What are you doing?
Jack: Pulling out my splinter.
Me: You need help?
Jack: No. Got it.
And off he went.

 

No comments: