Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Playing Some Summer Ball...

I have shared that Sam has been participating in i9 flag football. It has been a GREAT experience for him! I recommend it to everyone!

Sam has been able to be a running back, which he can't be in Ankeny Junior Football because he is over the weight limit for running backs. He loves that he got the opportunity to try this position!

i9 sports is all about being a having fun and good sportsmanship. Each week there is a theme, such as: team player, great positive attitude, never give up, hustling, etc.  Three players on the team that  "display" that theme, for the week, receives a medal for that game. The kids loved it and they all encouraged each other....it never was a competition.

After each game, Sam and his friend would go on and on about how much fun they had during the game. His friend got to be QB, which he has always wanted to do, but has never had the opportunity.
 

Anyone can play...there were even a couple of girls on teams and boy were they good!!

As parents, we saw the this group of boys really started playing well as a team...I believe it was due to them having a good time, there wasn't any stress and the kiddos all supported each other!  Some teams were really good, but towards the end of the season, we were able to beat them, because we worked as a team, where they still had the 2-3 athletes they used for all plays and didn't work as well as a team.

As parents we had to support the i9parent pledge:

“I, the parent or guardian of an i9 team player, agree that the most important outcome of any game is for my child to have fun. My child needs my approval and support, regardless of what happens in the game.

I will refrain from the use of negative or derogatory language aimed at the Officials, the Coaches, my child, or other players. I will encourage my child and all others in the game and will let the coach be the coach. I will do my best to model the sportsmanship-like behavior I wish my child to adopt, and to support the coach in making this the best possible experience for my child.”

Practice was for 45 minutes prior to the game. Then the game was 45 minutes.  All games are on Sundays.

i9 also has soccer, basketball and baseball teams.

A few statistics from kids that played football for i9, but also played outside the league...here are the shocking and not so shocking results:

  • When asked their #1 reason for playing sports, the number one answer was to have fun.
  • When asked how they feel if their team loses, 63% said they still have fun.

  • 84% said they sometimes wish they had more fun when playing youth sports.

  • 84% said at one time they quit a team or wanted to quit. Why? 47% said because “it wasn’t any fun.” 29% said some teammates were mean. 23% said there were too many practices that interfered with other activities.

  • 31% wished adults weren’t watching their games – they said mostly because adults yell too much, were too distracting, made players nervous and put pressure on them to play better and win.
  • We will definitely sign up Sam again for next year, because it really was a positive experience for him! 

    No comments: