Tuesday, September 6, 2011

What I've Read....


This book is a big one (800 pages) and it took me sometime to read it...not because I didn't like it, but because summer was busy.  Anyway, Jason kept telling me I had to read it and I said, "NO!  YOU like vampire stuff...not me."  I finally "gave in" and I must admit, it is now one of my top five favorite books. The first 200 pages sets up the entire story and at times felt as if the book drug on a bit.  Basically, scientists find a "vampire" like virus in South America, bring it back to the states in an attempt to make the ultimate solider.  It is tested on twelve men that are brought to a lab in Colorado. All twelve men are inmates on death row and literally have nothing to lose. The guys who go "recruit" the men have suddenly been assigned to bring in the next guinea pig...a six year old girl, named Amy. Well, needless to say, eventually the twelve "escape" and the virus is spread through humankind, nearly destroying the world.  The book fast forwards to 100 years later.  This is when the story really gets going.  There are only a few surviving humans in a fort/compound and they must protect themselves from the virals, that hunt and come out only at night. One "day," they discover Amy, who is the same age as the virals (100), but is still a little girl who does not crave humans as the virals and can speak to the virals. They believe she is the answer to their survival and to the elimination of the virals.  I loved this book, because you get to know the characters extremely well.  It was one of those, for me, that I couldn't put down at night and tried so hard to stay awake to see what would happen next and actually looked forward to reading it each night.
I have been meaning to read this book for years!  My mom brought me a copy and insisted it was time that I read it.  I must say, it was nothing like I was expecting and glad that my mom insisted.  What I loved about this book, was that it is set in the 1930s, but could actually take place in today's society.  This book and its message is timeless. It reminds one, that standing for what you believe is difficult, at times,  but extremely important...especially for your children.

This was an odd, quick little read.  What first caught my attention was the vintage photos through out the book.  Jacob, a teenager, has a special bond with his grandfather.  While growing up, Jacob's grandfather shared outlandish "true" stories of his childhood on a remote island with Miss Peregrine and her peculiar children....he even has the photos (the vintage photographs) to back up the tales. One night, Jacob's grandfather is killed, but before he dies he tells Jacob to seek out the truth.  This sets Jacob off to find the house of Miss Peregrine and the peculiar children.  At  first, this book creeped me out, but it is a fantasy tale...it was a fun read, but I don't know if I will continue to read the others in the series. 

No comments: