Tuesday, November 2, 2010

What I am Reading...

Just finished the non-fiction book, Zeitoun by Dave Eggers.
The book starts two days before Hurricane Katrina hits New Orleans, where Zeitoun live with his wife and three children. Zeitoun is a highly respected person in New Orleans and decides to wait out the storm at his home while his wife leaves with the children.  After the storm devastates the city Zeitoun travels around the city in his canoe saving people, checking on his rentals, feeding abandoned dogs and other "good Samaritan" acts. Everything takes a surprising and drastic turn one day when the military comes to his door. Oh, Zeitoun is Muslim.
While reading, I would share bits and pieces with Jason and found myself asking him, "Did you know that?  Did you ever hear about that?"  The story makes me mad, due to the assumptions of the label "Muslim" and how that one word can take away all your basic human rights. This book really made me think and I still find myself thinking about it at random times.

1 comment:

Janet said...

I'm a huge fan of non-fiction. Thanks for the review, Katie. I'm putting it on my list.