Thursday, September 11, 2014

What I've Been Reading...

Well, I finally finished my summer book, Outlander! The 850 page book took about two months to read, but it was worth it! I have also been watching the series on Starz and liking that too! There are some parts in the book that drag, walking around the forest, talking, other stuff, walking around the town, talking, other stuff. But, between all the talking, walking and other stuff, there is a great story. I loved how "normal" events turn against Claire when you least expect it. 

http://www.dianagabaldon.com/wordpress/wp-content/files_mf/1322638297Outlandertpb3wide.jpg 
The book starts in 1945, where Claire, a former combat nurse, is back from war and reunited with her husband Frank on their second honeymoon. She takes a walk through an ancient store circle and she is suddenly in Scotland in the year of 1743.
Here, she meets Scottish warriors and James Alexander Malcolm MacKenzie Fraser, AKA Jamie. Lucky her! 

I have 7 novels left to read and they are all about 800+ pages! I did pick up the next book, Dragonfly in Amber, but will wait a bit to start that one!

 So once I finished Outlander, I needed a "shorter" book and a friend loaned me Big Little Lies. She is the same author the wrote The Husband's Secret, which I loved! Well, she did not disappoint in this novel. I read the book in three days. They way the author writes, just makes you want to read just to find out what is going on and how it will all play out. It is a must read!

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81J%2B9qYEqYL.jpg 
Big Little Lies focuses on three women, all of whom have children at the same preschool. One is a great beauty married to a fabulously rich businessman; they have a “perfect” set of twins. One is the can-do mom who can put together a mean pre-school art project but can’t prevent her teenage daughter from preferring her divorced dad. The third is a withdrawn, single mother who doesn’t quite fit in. Right from the start we know that someone is going to end up dead. The questions are who and how. Miraculously, Moriarty keeps this high concept plot aloft, largely because she infuses it with such wit and heart. She also knows not to overplay the message she’s sending: that we all tell lies--to each other and, more importantly, to ourselves.

I am now reading Bellweather Rhapsody and loving it!! 

http://payload207.cargocollective.com/1/0/2618/6443528/laserghost_THE_BELLWEATHER_RHAPSODY_Racculia_book_cover.jpg 

A high school music festival goes awry when a young prodigy disappears from the most infamous room in the Bellweather Hotel.

That is just the tip of the iceberg of this "Shining" like book! So far, I would highly recommend this book, too, but will let you know after I finish reading it!!
 

No comments: